Saturday, December 11, 2010

EVERYWHERE: Affordable Art (and not that bad kind)

I have this semi-photographic memory for directions and places. Once I've been to a place one time, I can usually lead myself back without directions. Too bad this superhuman skill is only useful in the career path of a taxi driver or forest ranger and in high school geography class.

This leads me to one of my most embarrassing moments. It was my first year living in New York. I was driving with some friends from Manhattan to Obama's inauguration in DC. In the middle of our drive I asked my new friends if we were driving through Connecticut. Opps--Connecticut is Northeast of New York and was not even remotely close to our location, which was apparently Delaware. So after trying to defend my comment (which was indefensible), I realized I need a refresher on the East Coast states. Since that day, I've been searching for the perfect wall map, and I think I found it.


The Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum teamed up with 20x200--my new favorite website for affordable, limited edition artists prints--to sell this gorgeous world map by Pentagram partner and artist Paula Scher. Proceeds from the sale of these prints go to the museum (one of my all-time favorites by the way).

You can buy the whole map in various sizes ranging from $500-$2000 or you can take a little chance and let 20x200 select a random 1/16 panel for $50. I'm thinking about two of the 11"x14" panels and hoping for either the East Coast or Southeast Asia. My geography skills in those regions are seriously lacking. For any New Yorkers out there that love her work, but cannot afford a print, my roommate discovered Friends of the Highline offers an $8 poster of the park path. Love.


No comments:

Post a Comment